Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Askeland on the GJW

CHRISTIAN ASKELAND: The Gospel of Jesus Wife — the saga continues ... (ETC). Excerpt:
I have expressed my opinion that the GJW has been so exhaustively proved a forgery, that the matter could be laid to rest. With regard to provenance documents and the identity of the present owner, I had surmised that King had legal or ethical reasons for withholding these. After all, what more could be gained from identifying the forger when everyone knows that the GJW is a fake? Her suggestion that the GJW could be authentic has caused me to reconsider. I would suggest that, if she considers the debate “ongoing,” then she should without hesitation produce the relevant materials. Furthermore, I would suggest that it would be disingenuous of King to conduct further Raman-spectroscopy testing (or the like) in highly-speculative support of authenticity and to simultaneously withhold documents which would almost certainly demonstrate forgery.
He also responds to claims about the ink used on the GJW fragment and the Harvard Lycopolitan John.

Background here and links.